Recently there has been worldwide spread of a cyberattack which is encryption based in the form of ransomware that is targeting computers running the Windows Operating systems. Ransomware is a type of malicious software designed to block access to a computer system or data until ransom (money) is paid to unlock. Most of computers in the University are running on Windows Operating System. Stay safe by following the instructions below:
- Update the operating system.
- Install the MS17-010 update that patches the vulnerability in Windows. Visit the link : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-010.aspx and download relevant patch files for your system.
- Update your antivirus software.
- Back up all your files.
- Avoid clicking on links or opening attachments or emails from source you do not know.
- Be alert when opening links on websites or emails especially an attachment that advises you to enable macros to view content or ones that instructs you to open links to claim money you have won. Unless you trust the source, do not open the content or external links of such emails instead delete the email from the inbox and trash folder.
- In case of an attack disconnect your computer from network immediately and report the matter to ICT via email@example.com or visit ICT offices.